15 Minutes With God
God wants to spend time with you. Just like your relationships with others grow as you spend time with them, so your relationship with God will grow when you set aside time to spend with Him. Reading the Bible and prayer are two ways God will communicate with you. Here are some tips for helping you get the most out of each.
Select some verses or a chapter of the Bible to read. We recommend that you start somewhere in the New Testament, which is the second half of your Bible. You can also use a Bible reading plan located at youversion.com. Read for about five minutes and watch for something to jump out at you. Write down the verse that struck you and ask yourself the following questions.
- Why did this strike me?
- What surprised me about it?
- Was I offended, shocked, scared, confused, challenged or was is just strange
Read that same section of your Bible again and ask yourself the following questions, jotting down your answers in a notebook. Journaling is a great way to see God at work in your life.
- Is there any sin to confess?
- Is there a promise to claim?
- Is there an attitude to change?
- Is there a command to obey?
- Is there an example to follow?
- Is there a prayer to pray?
- Is there an error to avoid?
- Is there a truth to believe?
- Is there something to thank God for?
Prayer is simply a conversation you have with God. Just imagine yourself sharing what you are going through with Him as you would a friend. Here are six things you can tell God before you begin to pray.
- I'm not praying to get something from you.
- I'm praying to connect with you.
- I'm praying to allow you to make me more like Jesus.
- I'm praying to receive guidance from you.
- I'm praying because I believe that you can change anything.
- I'm praying because I believe apart from you, I can do nothing.
God wants to hear about the great times in our lives as well as about the challenging times. He cares deeply about every aspect of your life. Here is a formula to help you.
- Praise - Spend some time thanking God.
- Repent - Confess your sin to God and claim the forgiveness you have in Jesus.
- Ask - Ask God for the things that are on your heart
- Yield - Give God total control of your life for today by inviting the Holy Spirit to guide you.